FW&D Wood Cabeese decal info. [Was: Re: FW&D caboose decals]

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: FW&D Wood Cabeese decal info. [Was: Re: FW&D caboose decals]
From: tntlines@h...
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 04:28:56 -0000
David, Gary & the list,

I don't know of any one who makes an actual decal set for FW&D
cabeese but you may be able to "decalbash" a set using Microscale set
87-734. This is the set for the 40' wood boxcar & has the
correct "white" Burlington Route Hearld but it may not it be the
right size for your particular caboose (usual disclaimer, I found it
in the Microscale catalog but don't have a set to compare tight now).

The FW&D waycars were either Mineral Brown or Chinese Red with a
white Burlington Route Hearld, FW&D reporting marks & the caboose
number. Most of these cars date from the late 1800's to early
1900's. Several waycars made it into BN Green paint & FW&D 95 was
reported to be the only outside braced wood caboose painted in the
Burlington Route Silver scheme (no hearld) so if the brass model you
have is of a specific caboose & you want it exactly correct, you will
need to try to chase down photos of that particular caboose to get it
exact and there may be different schemes for different time periods.

The only source I've found so far for FW&D waycar photos (other than
the odd photo at local train shows) is Steve Goen's book "Fort Worth
& Denver Color Pictorial" by Four Ways West Publications (now out of
print & very pricy at the local Fort Worth/Dallas train shows). I'll
see Steve tomorrow at the LMRA train show & ask him if he knows of
any other sources for photos. Our N-Trak club is setting up there.
Steve may even have some more photos that he didn't use in the book.
HTH & let me know that caboose number, there may be a photo in
Steve's book I can scan & send to you {after getting permission from
Steve, of course :-) }

Bill Belsher
TNT Webmaster
Trinity N-Trak
Fort Worth, TX
http://members.home.net/tntlines/
Modeling the Fort Worth & Denver in N Scale