Trip to Sedan

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Trip to Sedan
From: "Larry L. Doub" <nftrains@n...>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:41:37 -0500
Well I drove out to Sedan "or what once was"
It's very hard to Understand any this area, State owned land know, and is wet
land "Marsh" for ducks and geese.
on the North side of the road "across fro the old farm" there doing to work to
add a Wild Life Refuge Marsh now.
As far as telling where any of the RR's were, there is on Line 'Maybe old Q"
the runs to I think the South West of there" and what looks like maybe the
other way that is mostly tree grown now. I would guess from the state doing the
Work in the landscape some time ago.
as for any other signs of RRs being there other than the land maker for the
Historical Make, that is it.
The foundations for the 2 grain Silo's, I guess a barn and I think the Supports
for a Fuel Oil tank are the only signs of life the.
I could not figure out where the station use to sit, or find anything as far as
RR Ties or Spikes, Pates etc.
I guess trying to figure these things just gives a sense of emptyness.
After driving around the North east road back, I 'm not even real sure were
that line ran to, if it went over the Hill it was a pretty good grade to pull
that's for sure.
I have the name and location of an older lady I said before went to school
there in the 8th grade "Sedan" and my look her up to find out some more stuff.
she has a good memory of these times and I could find out allot from her, also
a guy that has a key to the Historical society Building I guess knows and Loves
to talk about the RR, maybe even an old RRer himself.
Hope this helps answer any thought of Sedan, If your in the area and wish to
drive out, let me know your coming to town, it's only about 10 minutes from
town 'or less' Follow the sign that says Historical Marker and your in the
right direction. One road right to it.

Larry Doub

The other day while I was working on my trains, I heard a Steam whistle a
couple times, I know it was, but I'm the only one who heard it I talked to and
asked about it, The city does not have one, LOL
Maybe a ghost train?? I have heard the stories about the ghost train over in
Unionville IA but never here.