Re: Help with N-Scale Kato Q Passenger cars.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Help with N-Scale Kato Q Passenger cars.
From: "jd" <viking80@p...>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:05:15 -0700
> I am trying to find a number of posts from last year on the correct
> order of a consist using all 12 of the Kato N Scale CB&Q passenger
> cars

Bill,

I know there are others out there who can speak to this better than I; but
in general, my understanding of the passenger practices for most roads is as
follows:

1) RPO - typically first in the consist (unless perhaps a storage mail car
preceeds it). As I understand it, postal security tended to dictate that
the mail cars be separated from the rest of the train with locked doors.

2) Baggage

3) coaches with higher numbers of seating

4) overnight coaches and/or dome coaches

5) slumber coach (for those roads that used them)

6) diner

7) sleeping cars

8) observation

I'm sure individual railroad practices tended to difer, and there are some
tendancies regarding which ways the vestibules faced, etc., but hopefully
this will provide a starting point. I've been told that the diner's tended
to run kitchen first so that first class passengers from the sleeping cars
didn't have to walk past the kitchen. In almost all cases, the general
pattern was a) head end equipment (RPO, storage mail, baggage), b) coaches,
c) diner, e) pullman cars and f) observation.

I wish I knew more about CB&Q practices, so hopefully others will add
additional info!

Hope that helps,

Jack