Re: [BRHSlist] C&S STEAM ENGINES

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] C&S STEAM ENGINES
From: "35582 - ginger shipley" <muffie@i...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:15:52 -0700

> I am in the process of finishing a C&S narrow gauge engine for a
friend.
> Microscale makes a C&S steam locomotive decal sheet that includes the
> early scheme with a large number on the tender, C & S above the number
> and a Colorado Road herald on the cab. The data sheet with the decals
> shows the placement for both styles, however, the black and white
> picture of the older scheme appears to be different than the normal
> black with graphite smokebox. The boiler looks to be a lighter shade
of
> color than the smokebox. Does anyone know what the paint scheme was
for
> the early C&S engines??

Gene,

You are probably looking at what was known as "Russia Iron". For over
50 years, ending around 1900, chemically pickled sheet iron was used
for boiler jacketing on many engines. The science was not very exact,
and "Russia Iron" could wind up with a color ranging from dark brown
through green to blue. Choosing a dark shade of paint of your choice
(in this range) and then adding about 1/6 metallic silver will make a
fair representation of it. By the way, although there was a wide range
of colors, the most common was in the dark blues. Floquil used to make
a military miniatures paint called "gunmetal" which looks pretty good
right out of the bottle.

Marshall