Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington stations/depots

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington stations/depots
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:28:12 -0800
Rob, Steve, Brian and list --

First, thanks to Rob for the infusion of energy he is putting into the BRHS
web site. Second, thanks to Steve for compiling the list of existing
structures accessible at the site. I presume that list should be considered
preliminary at this point. I can't believe that's all the depots we have
left (how sad, if true). I'm sure, for instance, there are more surviving
structures from the C&S's narrow gauge lines than are included on the list
-- certainly the depots at Silver Plume and Leadville (also the Leadville
enginehouse and freight depot). Last time I explored the old right of way
in Colorado (quite a few years back, admittedly), well-preserved depots
also existed in Jefferson, Pitkin, and Idaho Springs, as well as at the
west portal of the old Alpine Tunnel. There was a less-well-preserved depot
in -- I believe -- Empire or Dumont (have to check); also heard that the
old Keystone depot still survived, though I did not see it. And there
were/are several C&S water towers on the Boreas Pass, Alpine Tunnel, and
Climax lines, a couple of iron bridges (in Platte Canyon and above St.
Elmo), and perhaps other structures. I can't confirm how many of these
still exist, but as I say, most of them were in good shape then, and there
was obviously some local interest in historical preservation, so I'm sure
at least some if not all of them do. Surely more must survive along the
rest of the CB&Q as well. But we won't know unless list-ers send Steve
current, accurate information from their own special areas of interest and
expertise about different parts of the system.

A suggestion: Something that would make the BRHS web site's structure list
even MORE useful would be to add a column indicating whether there are
plans or drawings for a given building (I believe that was part of Brian's
original question). I know, for instance, that plans have been published
for all of the depots I mentioned above (with the possible exception of the
one at Keystone), as well as quite a few others on the C&S system. Having
an on-line (and/or printed) index of available CB&Q structure plans would
be exceedingly helpful to modelers and other fans.

My specific interest: Does anyone know if or where I can get
plans/drawings for any of the 2-story "saltbox" style depots so
characteristic of the Lines West?

grateful for your help,
Jonathan Harris