Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q NE-1 Waycar (Caboose) #14497 Now in Mundelein, I

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q NE-1 Waycar (Caboose) #14497 Now in Mundelein, IL
From: "muffie" <muffie@i...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:20:26 -0500
All standard mineral red waycar paint jobs would include the BR herald. Prior
to the early '40s, the herald would usually have the full black background.
This was phased out during WW II. You mention "black trim". If, by this, you
mean handrails and other ironwork, or perhaps window frames, it is someone's
idea of "cute", but has nothing to do with the Q's real world.

The mineral red paint scheme officially included black underbody and trucks,
but this appears not to have been universally applied. It's difficult to tell.
They may originally have been mineral red *or* black, but with a few months of
unwashed road dust, no color difference might be obvious <grin>.

Contact me off-line . . . I am in a research project which will yield even more
details for you soon.

As a BR fan, let me congratulate and thank you for choosing to preserve some
Burlington history in as authentic a manner as possible!

Marshall Thayer