Re: [BRHSlist] Bituminous vs. Lignite

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Bituminous vs. Lignite
From: Steve Wintner <steve_wintner@y...>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

As I said I was going to do before, I've looked over
Corbin and Kerka. According to them, none of the
Burlingtons steamers had a Coffin feedwater heater
(FWH), and quickly perusing the pictures, I saw none
of the beetlebrowed Coffin heaters or anything
appearing to be an inset Coffin heater. I did see
several S2 pacifics with an extended smokebox, and
Elesco FWHs - presumably the extended smokebox
contained the additional screening , etc for lignite.

Regarding Bills comments regarding moving the stack to
accomodate an inset Coffin heater, I had been thinking
of the stack relative to the smokebox front, not the
rest of the loco, sorry if that caused confusion.
Bill, thanks for correcting my poor description.

=====
-Steve Wintner
"Hearts have been hard
Hands have been clenched into fists too long"
-Midnight Oil