Re:Bituminous vs. Lignite

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re:Bituminous vs. Lignite
From: tarfu64@h...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:16:20 -0000
Hello to all,

Interesting discussion going on concerning Bituminous vs. lignite
along with comments about coffin feedwater heaters, so I thought I
would throw my 2 cents in. It is pretty unlikely that the addition
of the coffin feedwater heater, recessed into the smokebox would
cause the stack to be moved back. In the engines that I can remember
seeing with this arrangement, there seemed to be enough room between
the stack and the smokebox front for the heater to fit. However, due
to the drafting arrangements in the smokebox, it is rather critical
that the stack be centered over the cylinders, therefore if there
were not enough room for the heater, it is more likely that the
smokebox would be extended than the smoke stack moved.

As to the lignite question, due to the softness of lignite coal, it
would through off more sparks and hot cinders than bituminous coal.
Therefore an engine equipped to burn lignite, would have additional
spark arresters in the smokebox to handle the increased amount of
sparks. To house these arresters the smokebox needed to be
lengthened.

Best regards,
Bill Allen