Re:Ashpans on brass models.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re:Ashpans on brass models.
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 08:01:45 -0700
I have a finished PFM Crown O-5, and I must admit that I have never noticed the absence of the ash pan, but unfortunately, I will now- and it will bother me. BTW, this model has to be one of the all-time grand champions of noble fine brass locomotive models. It just reeks of simple unvarnished precision and meticulous construction. The Japanese fabricators of these locomotives were feeling good the days they built them!

There is no doubt that the addition of ashpans to coal=burning brass models (or others as well, actually) can really make a big visual difference. They are commonly not modeled because of the interference with the trailing truck on sharper curves. I have corrected this on a number of brass locomotives (notably at the moment a Wabash P-1 Hudson, and a Milwaukee F-7 Baltic) by fabricating simple wood ashpan "outlines" (fine grained basswood, or old-growth heart redwood) that are fitted into the frame aft, but are narrow enough to drop down between the trailing truck wheels and not interfere with operation on my statutory minimim radius (31"). I make the elevation outline of the ashpan accurate (as determined from locomotive plans), but make no effort to make any significant detail. I then paint it flat black to fade into the usual clutter. It can be a *very* effective addition.

Denny
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California