Re: [BRHSlist] FW: CB&Q Steam Loco models

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, z574@y...
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] FW: CB&Q Steam Loco models
From: Steve Wintner <steve_wintner@y...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
Zenon,

I went and did a little digging, and I'm afraid the
news is not good.

I went through my copy of Corbins "Steam Locomotives
of the Burlington Route", which includes diagrams of
most classes of the Burlignton's steamers. I compared
the wheelbases and so forth to data published in the
February 1990 MR, which included a chart listing
principla dimensions for chassis from Bowser, Mantua
and MDC.

The only chassis I found to be close (within 6 scale
inches) to a Burlington Steamer was the Bowser 4-6-4,
which was close (off a few inches here and there) to
an S4. BUT, I do not know if they are at all close in
looks, and the Bowser 4-6-4 is not listed in their
current catalog. And, as you mentioned, there is a
Bowser USRA 2-10-2 kit, and the Q owned some of them.
But, these locos spent most of their lives out west on
C&S rails, and I don't know how the Q modified them
from the USRA design over their lives. They were class
M-3 and numbered 6300-6309. Further, the Bowser kit is
off by a few scale inches in almost every dimension
compared witht he diagram in Corbin...

Depending on how close is close enough, you may decide
some of the chassis I rejected are "close enough". I
wen't with 6 scale inches, which is about 1/16th real
inch, as the limit on being "noticeable", but you may
disagree with me on that.

This chart does not include any of the steamers
brought out recently by Athearn, Bachman or Atlas. So
I do not know if any of them are close enough.
Unfortuantely, the only USRA steamers the Q had were
15 USRA heavy Mikes, 10 each of 0-6-0 switchers, 0-8-0
switchers and the 2-10-2s. I think someone has a USRA
0-6-0 out...

I have never built a Bowser Kit, so I can't comment on
them.

I hope that helps. Have a nice day, sorry the news
couldn't be better.

--- Dave_Lotz <Dave_Lotz@m...> wrote:
> All,
>
> Please reply directly to Zenon, who is not a list
> member.
>
> Dave

=====
-Steve Wintner
"Hearts have been hard
Hands have been clenched into fists too long"
-Midnight Oil