Re: [BRHSlist] Green Chicago Commute coaches

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Green Chicago Commute coaches
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:34:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/2001 12:24:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
danspach@m... writes:

> This brings to memory a midday commute train stopping in Riverside
> about 1948-50 with three open platform cars trailing one of the
> Zephyr shovel nose units. How the mighty had fallen!

The Q rotated their passenger diesels in "through" and torturous "commuter"
service. All of the E-units I worked on had a "maximum/minimum field" knife
switch in each of the electrical cabinets. Maximum field was used for quick
starts in suburban service whereas minimum field was used for slow, smooth
starts in through passenger service. EMD did not (emphatically) endorse the
use of "maximum field" starting of their product. I believe it was a feature
added by the Q shops and copied from the, GP's and SD's.
Bob Campbell