Re: [BRHSlist] Weed Sprayer Trains

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Weed Sprayer Trains
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:21:53 EDT
In connection with the weed spray train discussion Leo brought up the matter
of rail oiling. I can't find the original post, but as I recall it had to do
with counteracting the effect of brine drippings on the rail and related
appurtenances.

Leo, I don't know whether you were around in the heyday of meat moving in
refer cars, but for the benefit of all concerned here is a bit of info.

Since meat had to be kept extremely cold to preserve it during transit, not
only was ice placed in the bunkers, but also salt. The bill of lading
specified the ratio of salt and ice the shipper wanted and it was up to the
carrier to see that this was complied with at the various icing stations
along the route.

My time in train service and in the "official cadre" was mostly not with the
Q so hope that I don't get in trouble with Mr. Webmaster, but I'm going to
use the Rock Island as my example and site some of the destructive tendencies
of the brine mixture on the right of way.

One of my first experiences was with the signal department at Rock Island
Illinois in observing some work on the Government Bridge over the Mississippi
at Quad Cities. During the time I spent standing around watching the signal
work being done I observed what appeared to be tar or roofing material on the
ties and bridge members. I was told that this was to prevent, to some
extent, the corrosive action of the brine on the metal surfaces. You could
see where, in the spots where the tar hadn't adhered that corrosion was
severe.

Also on the Rock Island, and I'm sure on all roads on the lines that carried
the preponderance of the fresh meat traffic you could see the corrosion on
the angle bars, spikes and bolts. On the RI every bit of that kind of
traffic came over the Government Bridge from the Kansas City Line, the Omaha
Line and the Cedar Rapids line since these all came together at Mo Division
Jct. at Davenport.

If you ever looked back from the headend of a train handling refers as it
rounded a superelevated curve you could see the clouds of water (brine)
running out the drains and being sprayed all over the track and row on the
low side.

One good thing. It sure kept the weeds down in those territories.

I don't recall ever hearing about or seeing rail oiling for this purpose, but
it certainly could have been something which was done in the days of the
"swinging meat" reefers.

Pete