Weed Sprayer Trains

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Weed Sprayer Trains
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:01:05 EDT
Paul,I have to admit up front that I never saw a Q Weed Sprayer Train live. I
have seen pictures (black and white) of other roads trains.My guess is that
in the lead you had the "boom" or sprayer car(probably a modified flat or
Jordan Spreader) that had the arms for the nozzles,then a box car or 2 and
then a string of tanks with lines running up to the boom car for the
vegetation killer/water mixture. The tanks were most likely Q company service
cars in the old Mineral red and then later Orange. These were probably the
11,000 gallons cars with high mounted walkways as oppossed to the newer fuel
oil cars(16,000 gal). Just educated guesses on my part.

I do know for a fact that today Ashplund leases UTLX tank cars for "weed
killer service".They often come back from leases w/many extra brackets,etc on
them that we charge them to remove. Not real popular cars in our shops.
Leo