Re: Denver Zephyr Lettering

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Denver Zephyr Lettering
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 05:13:30 -0000
Since this thread was posted, I have been on the lookout for how the
letterboards of the 1936 Denver Zephyr were lettered and, in the
photos I have seen, including several of the Observation cars, they
were either lettered "Pullman", for the sleepers, or "Burlington". In
all photos I saw of the Observation car, including one in Dave
Randall's Budd passenger car library book, the letterboards said
"Burlington".

I guess that, when Dick McKinley purchased his set of DZ cars, he
lettered the Silver Flash letterboards "Denver Zephyr". This did not
reflect how the train was lettered when it operated as the DZ. His
error may have been in noting the way the Nebraska Zephyr cars were
lettered. For some reason, the Q chose to letter the train "Nebraska
Zephyr", even though, unlike the Texas and California Zephyrs, it only
operated on the Burlington itself.

sjl

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@xxxxx.xxx.xxxx wrote:
> Attached is Hol's photo of Silver Flash taken in Denver in September
of
> 1970 - and it clearly has DENVER ZEPHYR on the nameboard, but the
Texas