Re: Depots

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Depots
From: "Larry L. Doub" <nftrains@n...>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:55:09 -0700
I wish I could have seen Savanna in the '70s
especially the Milwaukee side of town.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL

Sorry Mike,
That I don't any pictures of this area, If I could print from my head that
would be great,
I know how it looked from the 70s tell it was gone.
As a kid, this yard was huge, I don't remember the rounds house to well though,
Had an Uncle on my Half brothers side that worked the Milwaukee side, I do have
a faint memory of going in the engine house or roundhouse to see him, and there
was a engine of some kind inside getting worked on, We use to go up to Savanna
all the time, Crossing the Old Rackety Bridge.
Then as time changes it slowly went away, first being all the freight cars then
track, then the bridge.
Now it is just open field.
Kind of sad in a way, it is nothing like I remember it being.
I have tried to find pictures etc from the area of Savanna and home "Thomson"
but most of what could be found was giving to the Depot in Thomson, or people
don't want to sell it etc,
There are some Pictures, not sure what, in the Grocery store in Savanna hanging
on the walls,
I think one My Grandfather may be in, We are not sure if it is him.

Only if we would have none all this would later become a part of life we wanted
to remember or
"Model" or even share with others, we could have gathered things then to have
now, Bummer.
Maybe I'll come up with something.
I have a Picture I saved from the net of a post card of the Depot in Savanna,
Anyone wants to see it email me and I will post it or mail to you,

Larry Doub