email virus??

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: email virus??
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:28:34 -0000
Has anyone experienced any anomalous behavior with their email since
opening Mr. Daub's Re: Virus Warning message this morning.

At 10:12 AM, my Outlook 98 email spontaneously sent replies to senders
of three recently received messages. One sender was sent 4 repies,
the other two 1 each. In all cases, our Microsoft Exchange mail
server bounced the messages back with "The following recipient(s)
could not be reached:" messages. In all cases, copies of the email
were stored in the sent folder (I obviously have not opened them).

When this happened, I had just previously opened Mr. Daub's Re: Virus
Warning message. Because my BRHS list mail is received in my Prodigy
Account, and I use netscape 4.7 mail to manage it, the message was
viewed in netscape mail, rather than Outlook, which handles my office
email.

Upon recognizing the problem, I shut my computer down and consulted
our PC/Network expert. He rebooted, examined the situation, and ran a
fully updated McAfee virus scan, which yielded nothing. Since then,
my PC has behaved properly and I have had no recurrence of spontanous
replying by Outlook. I have received both one internet and one
intranet message subsequently and neither triggered a spontaneous
reply.

Has anyone else experienced any problems. I am not sure whether this
is a computer virus or what or even if it is related to Mr. Daub's
email. His description of what happened to him appears to only bear
superficial ressemblance to what happened to me this morning.

For safety, I have sent this email directly from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BRHSlist/post using yahoo's list
software.

sjl