Re: 1999 Aurora Meet

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: 1999 Aurora Meet
From: jsauer@e...
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:21:12 -0000
Well, I was there and I took some prints, but I doubt I have any
complete consist shots - it was a little hard to do at the station.
I will look through and see what I have. As is often the case with
excursion trips, the best train shots are taken by the people who
aren't on the trip. I may have some individual car shots and maybe
one of the cab control car.

It was the highlight of a great meet, to be sure. That was my first
Aurora to CUS trip (I used to live in LaGrange). Having heard that
the 700 series cars are due for replacement (hard to believe, they
seemed like they were still in great shape), I feel the urge to get
back there to shoot a few more. It's funny, back in the 60's, I
didn't take nearly enough commuter shots - they seemed at the
time...so ordinary. Perspective.

If I have any of the "MARK TWAIN ZEPHYR", to whom or where do I send
them?

John Sauer
Huntington, NY

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "twhitt" <twhitt@p...> wrote:
> Help!!!
>
> One of the highlights of the 1999 Aurora Annual Meeting was a trip
to Chicago on the 'Mark Twain Zephyr'. Although not the real MTZ,
but the version put together by BNSF and Metra for our use. This
trainset was due to the efforts of a local conductor who works the
Metra line to Chicago, John Smith. John is also good friends with
the individuals who own the actual trainset, and allowed him the use
of the MTZ casting from the original trainset.

> During the meet, he requested some photographs of the Metra
trainset from our members. To date, he has not received any
photographs. While riding with him to Chicago last week, he was very
disappointed that no photos were offered, especially after he saw the
tens of people taking pictures.

> I would request that if you or another member that you know has any
pictures of the trainset, to please contact me off list to arrange
getting copies of some of the photographs. Remember, that the
bilevel cars used had to be cut out of other trainsets and returned
after our trip, the signs on the cars and the locomotive were made by
John Smith and his crew, and finally that the crew volunteered to
spend an evening with us to Chicago.