Re: [BRHSlist] Pioneer Zephyr History

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Pioneer Zephyr History
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 14:21:43 -0500
Pete and BRHSlisters:

I strongly suspect that the occasion you listened to on the tapes was the
ceremony at Chicago Union Station immediately following the first ever
arrival of 9900 from the east. From my recollection of my Newberry Library
readings, I recall that the Q went to great lengths to time the arrival of
9900 because the event was broadcast across America on live radio.

If those bells in the background are not steam bells but attached to
electrics, the location may by Philadelphia. I do not believe that to be the
case.

I would like to respond in more detail, but choose not to at this time. My
work at Newberry was in conjunction with J. W. Schultz for his forthcoming
tome. My commitment to JW remains until publication of his book, or his
passing, whichever comes first!

I wish to not start rumors, but I know the question will be asked. JW's work
is complete and the entire affair is in the hands of a reputable publisher.
I will not speculate upon a release date. However, I am relatively confident
that members of this list will be some of the first to know when!

I will share this tidbit, that the Q, in its desire to maintain a reputation
of punctuality held 9900 at 16th Street, so that it arrived on time on live
radio..... Ralph Budd was not only a railroader, but he and his team were
sophisticated marketers in their day.

Ed DeRouin