RE: [BRHSlist] LaBelle dynamometer kit

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] LaBelle dynamometer kit
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:10:03 -0500
Ben-
Yes, there was a prototype for the kit...."Q" Dynamometer Car Z. I don't
have my files handy here, but I'll post what I remember. The car was a
standard waycar carbody with the windows slightly rearranged and a side door
added. One end had no platform/steps and had the end door
offset to one side. The cupola was downsized to a clerestory. The car rode
on standard wood beam waycar trucks.
There may have been an X and a Y but I've never seen any evidence for it.
The Z was the Q dynamometer car until replaced by the steel car that
Walthers has just brought out in HO. As time went on the carbody was
modified extensively, getting more windows, losing the side door, new steps
and platforms on both ends, and a curious built up center section on the
roof which probably housed water tanks and other equipment to support the
crew who lived in the car.
Northeastern had Q drawings for the car but every so often I check with them
and they have been unable to find them. Maybe someday they will show up.
If you are interested in this car I'll see what I can dig up for you in my
files. Corbin or Kerka had drawn up the later version of the car and I know
I have some photos as well. Contact me off list.
Charlie Vlk