Re: [BRHSlist] Budd Car Fluting

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Budd Car Fluting
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:14:25 -0500
From: "Rick Keil" <rkeil6721@h...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 6:51 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Budd Car Fluting

> All, I am in the process of doing some minor cosmetic "make-overs" on some
> of my passenger equipment to make it at least a little more accurate.
Like
> changing the names on Con-Cor domes to match the styles! After comparing
> the Athearn 72' baggage to the passenger car library, vol 1, it appears
that
> is similar to Argos and Olympus. Vents and windows in the doors I can
live
> with. I also need to shave the extra sign board off the side. Lastly, it
> is missing the small fluting along the skirts. Does anyone know of any
> "peel-n-stick" or think plastic fluting that can be used? Thanks

Actually, the Athearn is >supposed< to be an ATSF prototype, with 6' and 8'
single two-window doors, while the Argo/Olympus had single 5' and double 9'
doors - Plus which, the Athearen cars have nine side flutes, while CB&Q cars
have seven . . . . etc. It can be used as a standin, I suppose - but just
adding skirt flutes won't cover the fact that the letterboard has flutes the
same size as the side flutes - which would just be made more noticeable by
scribing the skirts . . .

> OBTW, Dave, I will be starting that Havelock baggage soon to go with this
> set. The BB on those cars sure saved me a headache (couldn't believe that
> every shot of a Havelock was from the same side showing the double doors
at the front.

Well - yeah! The Havelock cars did not have mirror-image sides (as in -
identical openings straight through). From either side, the double doors
are on the left - so, from that standpoint, all photos would appear to be
"from the same side".

Marshall