Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Any news on CB&Q 3007?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Any news on CB&Q 3007?
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:36:02 -0800
Again, I can't speak for the IRRM....

I don't know who the #2 bidder was, maybe someone out there can fill us in. I'd probably remember if it was someone who had the resources to restore the engine.

I think 3007 was purchased by IRRM to 'bring her home' as the saying goes. Would they like to restore the engine? I'm sure they would. Will she be restored in the next 10 years? Who knows. With the right amount of money and effort, anything can happen. #261 is evidence of this.

Is is critical that a restoration effort start right now? At the risk of getting into trouble with my Lines East friends, I don't think so. She is safely under cover, keeping company with #637, #4963, E5 9911, the Goddesses set, Q SD24 504 (as BN 6244), E 9989A (as BN 3) and a host of Burlington passenger and freight cars. I can't think of better company to be in.

IRRM is a group of many individuals with many interests. While I definitely would like to see the Burlington collection at the top of the list (who on this list wouldn't) for restoration, operation, etc, we have to be practical. Heck, I think it would be great if they could convince Metra to cut loose with a set of authentic CB&Q dinky cars (IRRM now has a set of C&NW cars) when the time comes. Strip the 9989A of that awful disco paint and you could have an authentic dinky in operation again! As always, the magic word is money.

Patience would be the operative word here. It took 4960 some 16 years after she last turned a wheel before she ran again on the Grand Canyon. Maybe, in time, we will see an authentic Q steamer in operation in the Midwest.

Regards,
John Lewis