Re: [BRHSlist] Any news on CB&Q 3007?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Any news on CB&Q 3007?
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:39:24 -0800
John,

While I am not speaking for IRRM, here is what I have gleaned from visiting this fine place.

The donations requested were to defray the cost of buying and moving 3007 to Union and for 'track space' to stow her on. The last time I saw her, she was coupled to CB&Q 4963, safely inside one of Unions large 'barns' where she is safe from the elements.

Union's steam crew is now working on restoring one of their small Union Pacific engines, along with keeping their Frisco engine operational. I believe there is one small steamer after the UP engine that is a likely candidate. Check out their page at www.irrm.org

Could 3007 be restored some day? Sure. The operative thing here is a thorough inspection to determine if she is a likely candidate and major bucks to fund the effort. While Union is a fine museum (in my opinion), I don't think they are rolling in $$$$!

I think the one thing that would be a restoration killer is the fact that she is a coal burner. I can't think of one mainline steam engine that is operational today that burns coal (yup, I know 765 is lurking in the wings).

Would it be possible to convert her to oil? I suspect it would, since the Q demonstrated it could be done. But again, there is that nagging quesiton of money.

While long winded, I hope this answers your questions!

Regards,
John Lewis