Re: [BRHSlist] Any news on CB&Q 3007?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Any news on CB&Q 3007?
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@h...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 08:29:49 -0800
I lived in Ill for 30 plus years and in the early days of the IRRM, it was a great place to visit and they really did a fine job of managing their equipment.

My last visit, about 5 years ago, just after 3007 arrived, was a disappointment. I saw a hugh collection of RR equipment, more than what the site can hold. I was there for Zephyr days, and noted several birds nests in the grill of the baggage car, made it hard to get "clean" photos of it. I asked why it was not cleaned up for the show and got a "what a stupid question" look for several members. If this was the pride of the IRRA that day, one would think that they would take 10 minutes to clear her up.

I talked to several members at their book store and they were interested in getting donations. I left $$$ and when I returned home, sent off a collection of RR magazines. No acknowledgement, no thank you, no nothing. I wrote a letter to the Directors, got no reply at all.

I get the feeling that they believe in "He who dies with the most toys....."

It appears they have too much, and obviously not enough resources to handle what they have. Is it not better to invest time, effort and money in a more manageable way? On the other had, if they did not step up to the plate on all the equipment they have, would anyone else? We will never know.

As for 3007, it is highly unlikely she will ever run. Too costly, and then where would they run her?

Ray Bedard
San Jose