Re: [BRHSlist] Oregon, IL Q customers

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Oregon, IL Q customers
From: Ed Pavlovic <epav1@w...>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:45:52 -0600
Jerry,
Looking at a BN "SPINS" diagram, the following industries are listed on the
"River" track that went up along the west side of the Rock River. This would
probably date these industries into the early 70's at least.

Standard Oil
Trim Co.
Paragon Foundries
E.D. Etnyre

Besides those, there was also a spot along this track used as a team track.
I have been told that the track used to cross Rte. 64 at one time, I'm not
quite sure of which industries were on the north side of 64. Don't forget
that there were a few industries on the south side of the tracks, off of the
track that was south of the siding and stock chute track by about 60-90 feet
or so, the CB&N track. You had Quaker Oats, Smith Oil Co. (Sunco) and Miles
Redi Mix. The red brick building that Quaker Oats was in still stands, along
with the Oil tanks just west of it in the weeds. This time of year you may
be able to see the abandoned section of the CB&N track east of the Rte. 2
overhead bridge. As of last fall, I know that the switch in this track that
used to go to the Quaker Oats building was still in, although the track is
stubbed short of the building. Part of the CB&N was rebuilt and extends a
short distance east of the bridge. I think that they also used either the
stock or the CB&N track as a team track also.

Up until sometime between June of 1968 and early 1970 you also had the
freight house located just west of the passenger depot, which had a platform
on the west side the same height as the boxcar floors for loading. There was
a track on both the north and the south side of the platform.

I'm sure someone can fill in some more of the gaps.

Ed Pavlovic