Re: [BRHSlist] Galesburg Question

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Galesburg Question
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 07:51:38 -0600
Greetings,
It sounds like everyone is more or less sure that Maytag was Admiral in
the 50's which I think I would agree. Specific dates are easy enough to pin
down if anyone needs to know. Mike Spoor has been researching the
interchange between the Q and Santa Fe so when the 4th Color book is out,
this interchange point may/will receive some attention. The Rock Island
Southern terminated where the Q branched off the passenger main for
connection with the Sante Fe. The Q ran behind ADM, Butler Mfd. ( old Frost
Boiler Works ) and Malleble.........Galesburg Casting. The small yard just
south of Monmouth Ave. was the furthest point the Q crews could go. The
Sante Fe interchanged some cars from McCabe Scrap, Gale, Midwest Mfd. as
well as some businesses already mentioned.
Harold Ziehr took many wonderful slides of the Sante Fe as well as the
Q, thus his tenative plans on a photo book titled "GT.GI." The Q's "City"
jobs switched this interchange as well as the depot, frt. house, power
house, and assorted bulk oil plants.
Today the 4pm 204 job switches this interchange past Illinois Power that
now occupies the area of the old interchange yard, all the way to GI Yard.
The old heads still refer to all '04 jobs as city jobs. One of the benefits
of working the 4pm job is that the interchange runs next to "Taco Hideout"
although when we would jump from the BN to the Sante Fe with passenger, even
a momentary delay at the Hideout was totally out of the question. Bill