Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Lettering Shoreham Shops Twin Cities Zephyr Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Lettering Shoreham Shops Twin Cities Zephyr Cars
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:44:40 -0600
> The decal numbers, for example, are "CB&Q 196", "CB&Q 360", etc.
> Would these be actual car numbers?
>
> These numbers and names are so small no one will ever see them. But
> I guess I'm just curious and will be nutty enough that I will put
> them on anyway.

John:

Don't be too hasty. I do not recall seeing numbers on CB&Q stainless steel
passenger cars until the time of the merger. Even the doors permitting
access to the interior from the vestibule had the car name on an individual
plate.

The numbers Loren refers to are the "line numbers" assigned by the Passenger
Department to define the roll a certain piece of rolling stock played in the
consist. A look at a the list of assigned equipment in a public timetable
will give you some idea of how this was done. If I recall usually only the
sleeping car line numbers were listed in the TT.

Ed DeRouin