Re: [BRHSlist] Steam Locos by Corbin

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Steam Locos by Corbin
From: Ken martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:00:48 -0800
Steve Wintner wrote:

> List,
>
> I've been looking for a reference on the Burlington's Steamers. Looking at
> the BRHS website, and at a few other places, it seems like Bernard Corbins
> "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route" is the book to have.
>
> When I go looking at out-of-print bookstores, I'm finding there are at least
> two editions. Which one do I want, considering my interest is purely for
> modeling / research, and not as a book collector ? The second
> Editions are listing for about 40, first for 30...
>
> Or is there maybe another book I should look for ?
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> =====
> -Steve Wintner

Steve

Corbin is THE book on Burlington steam. Corbin/Kerka published the first
edition in 1960 with a second printing following. In 1978 Bonanza did a
reprint but did not use the original plates. The Bonanza is identified with
Bonanaza printed on bottom of the binding on the dust jacket. Also on the page
after the title page. The pictures in the original are superior to the Bonanza
reprint.

In my opinion the original is prefered for both collector and modeler. However
if all you want is a quick reference then the Bonanza works.

Also if you get a good deal on "Burlington in Transition" GRAB IT.
(steam, G-E, Diesel)

Ken Martin
With one of each. Corbin in the bookshelf and Bonanza by the computer.