Service Employees

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Service Employees
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:51:35 EST
The onboard staff of passenger trains were RR employees except for the
Pullman cond. and porters (after the demise of the Pullman Co..these jobs
went to RR employees, those that were maintained).For a good reference I
would suggest "41 years in the D.C.&H." by Paul R. McDonald which is about
Jules Hansink, a U.P. employee. The dining car steward and waiters, dining
car cooks, chair car attendants, sleeping car porters were all RR employees.
I remember coming back on the CZ from Omaha w/Ed Metz after a UTU meeting and
he introduced me to the waiter working the counter in the dining car as the
"griever" for the dining car staffs.
Also some time ago there were posts on this list about former passenger
onboard staff members who transferred to the TY&E group upon the demise of
passenger service. Two names that still come to mind are O.D. Roberson and
Andy Williams.
Leo