Galesburg

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Galesburg
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:58:07 -0600
Greetings List,
We are looking for odd and obscure photos of early Q Galesburg, pre-1881 for a
research project. The quest is a photo and or information on Galesburg's 1st
station house located next to the roundhouse. Galesburg's library burned in
1958 in which a possible source of information was lost.
Newton did a report for Budd in the 40's to determine the location of the 1st
Aurora depot. The litho of Galesburg's depot in that report is the same and
only one we have today yet no known photo has ever came to light. In Corbin's
and Kerka's book, Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route, there are many
early photos of early Galesburg that hint of structures in the background like
the ones on pages 24 and 182.
Possibly some of the photo's of O.H. Means were not used in this book for one
reason or another but may show a faint Galesburg's depot in the background.
Does anyone know of collections such as his which may help? Much information,
in the last few years, have been uncovered but many pieces fit poorly. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.........Bill