Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast.

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast.
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:05:53 -0600
Karl, There's one more color to consider......gold. On Sept. 5, 1924, the
Q announced that passengers on the CB&Q east of Denver would be riding on a
roadbed of gold. The 400 miles would be ballasted with slag from the gold
and silver mines of Colorado. Each ton of this ballast contained at least
$2 worth of gold ore. The quantity was too small for the smelting companies
to get out profitably with machinery then in use. Great piles of this slag
had accumulated in and around Denver and other points in Colorado. The
Burlington contracted for a large part of it. The Burlington announced that
in time, a roadbed of gold would cover the entire system. REPUBLICAN
REGISTER WAF