Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast.

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast.
From: "Karl L Rethwisch" <karlre@r...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:28:43 -0700
On the C&S north and parts of the Q, in the areas close to Denver, the ballast
was decomposed granite obtained from pits on the UP. We still get ballast
trains delivered to Cheyenne from UP.

On the C&S south lines a product of volcanic activity was "substituted" for
ballast, scoria, crushed volcanic cinders. This material performs far better in
gas grilles than it does under RR track. When placed as ballast it becomes
pulverized below the ties and, as a result, affords no drainage. When the
massive rail relay gangs of the early eighties began to install 132 lb. CWR on
the C&S south of Walsenburg, CO. the entire line had to be undercut to remove
all traces of the scoria and replaced it with real ballast, namely, decomposed
granite. The granite came from several different geographical areas of the
country mainly because the enormous quantities needed could not be provided any
single source. The colors are, generally, red and black.

Karl