Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Aerotrain?

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Aerotrain?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:29:49 -0600
Being a Burlington modeler I am no expert on Aerotrains (the Brotherhood's
early experience with Shovelnoses precluded us having models of Burlington
RDCs and other neat stuff), but I believe that there were only two complete
trainsets - GM T-1 and GM T-2 (1955) (locomotive model LWT12 nos. 1000 and
1001. The Rock Island had an extra locomotive built in 1956 which pulled a
set of Talgo cars (the "Jet Rocket") and this unit was exclusive to the
Rock. The 1000 operated on the PRR. The 1001 was leased to the NYC, was
tested on the AT&SF and ended up on the UP as the City of Las Vegas. Both
were returned to EMD in 1957 and were sold to the RI, ending up as the worst
way to commute to and from Joliet.
Charlie Vlk