RE: Everywhere West Slogan

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: Everywhere West Slogan
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:50:54 -0600
-----Original Message-----From: Kelly, John P [mailto:KellyJ@b...]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 12:42 PMTo: 'brhs@n...'
Subject: Everywhere West SloganHello CB&Q Webmaster,My name is John Kelly in
Madison, Wisconsin.i am writing an ongoing, monthly column "'Railroad
History" for KalmbachPublishing's new web site TRAINS.COM to go online
January 8th, 2001.I am planning a future column on Railroad Slogans and Ad's
that railroad'sused.I really like Burlington's "EVERYWHERE WEST" and
would like to know if youcould help me find information on where/when and who
originated it.if it was ever covered in one of your Burlington Bulletin's i
would be happyto send you a check for a back issue.Sincerely,John Kelly

Mr. Kelly,

Some time ago I asked a similar question of the list. The responses were
helpful to me so I am sending them along hoping they advance the inquiry for
you.

My question:

From: Rob Adams <aaeditor@n...>

John:

According to information that I have, the Everywhere West slogan was not
used on CB&Q box cars until 1937, so circa 1930 equipment would not have
it. I've run into this same situation creating "Q" equipment for my
summer 1934 B&W/B&NW branchline.

My follow-up question to Mr. Adams:

>:
>

> Thank you very much for your prompt and informative reply to my
> inquiry about the slogan "Everywhere West". Just one more question if
> I might -- Was it adopted simultaneously with the slogan "Way of the
> Zephyrs"? Thanks also for the information on where I can find data
> sheets for the single and double sheathed box cars. It is responses
> like yours that make the list well worthwhile.

Mr. Adams' reply:

You are most welcome. I don't know about the chronology of the adoption
of the "Way of the Zephyrs" slogan, though it seems like it appeared on
switch engine paint schemes fairly early in the 1940's. But I haven't
seen it used on freight equipment in the earlier era that I've studied
rather intently.

Kind regards, Rob Adams