Re: [BRHSlist] Q NW1Switchers

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q NW1Switchers
From: Gordon Smith <kc2bw@w...>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:06:54 -0500
Hi Rich...Well there are two major external differences. First, the
exhaust stacks on the SW's were offset to the firemans side. This was
due to the Winton 201-A in line 8 cyl. engine, as opposed to the stacks
being centered on the hood (as in typical later EMD switcher designs) on
the NW-1. This was due to the V 12 Winton 201-A engine of higher
horsepower.
Second, the hood of the SW is shorter than that of the NW-1. Frames
being the same length, the front sand box was placed on the walkway of
the SW while the NW-1 was internal with its longer hood.
Alco models has an SC which can double as the SW, as the difference was
a cast frame as opposed to a welded frame. Hope this helps!

Gordon

--
To reply take the 33 from the address