Re: [BRHSlist] Forwarded Posts re: Psgr Train Operations

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Forwarded Posts re: Psgr Train Operations
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:55:57 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Michael <jerstauf@e...> wrote:>
> Kable Printing during those years as well as now, was heavy into catalog
> work for such customers as Aldens mail order which is now long gone. The
> mail was loaded directly into the cars from the finishing dept. via
> conveyors with a couple people in the car to stack the mail. Tracks 3 &
> 4 both indoor tracks held I believe 6 cars each. Track 3 is gone and
> track 4 recieves the bulk share if incoming paper for the Roto presses.
> Waste paper is the only outbound shipment from the plant these days and
> all of the mail goes by truck to chicago to be loaded on the various
> RR's. At one time we did our own piggy back loading but I do not recall
> the final year of operation. Hope this helps. Jerry

Mount Morris, Ill., was of course well-known in publishing
circles. There were several other companies around the company
which published the mass-market magazines, who circulations
numbered in the milllions.

In such high volume sources, the Post Office Department had
branches or stations right on the premises, just as it did in
the catalog plants around the country of Sears, Roebuck and
Montgomery, Ward. So shipments entered the mail right in the
building. Taking them to the post office would have been even
more onerous to the Post Office Department than to the mailer.

Now, with various kinds of data transmission available,
publications are printed at many places around the country so
as to reach customers more quickly (and also reduce postage
costs).

When I complained several years ago about late delivery
of Newsweek, the customer service representative checked into
it, then reported back that Newsweek copies for this area are
printed in Jonesboro, Ark., and one or more semis are sent
out on Mondays directly to the Oklahoma City mail processing
annex, arriving in the small hours Tuesday morning, sorted
according to the Postal Service requirements for delivery
on Tuesdays.

No doubt there are similar arrangements today for all
the big magazines to all parts of the country.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...