Great Hunting

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Great Hunting
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:08:15 EST
Railroad r.o.w.'s have always provided great hunting as they provide cover
for the wildlife.While as a youngster I spent my fair share of time pounding
the "hills" at Eola and bagged a few rabbits and pheasants.I learned a whole
new meaning to r.o.w. hunting working w/Berry Domacher on various jobs.I'll
never forget the time he saw a rabbit hunkered down along the fence at Cat as
we pulled in on the "fence" track one morning. He jumped out of his seat,
grabbed the ever present broom from the cab and was down the steps in a
flash, yelling grab the throttle and take them on in while I go get that
rabbit! That must have been one smart rabbit as he got away (one of the few
to survive a "do" attack with a broom.
However that doesn't hold a candle to the story I heard tonight on the way
home on the dinky. Seems one night on the C&I in the miserable 1978/79 winter
Jerry spotted a deer struggling in the deep drifts along the r.o.w.The train
went into emergency,the DS was notified of a problem and Berry headed out
with the hammer from the tool pile in hand. He was back shortly with the deer
over his shoulder!
Leo
P.S.-The names in this little ditty are changed to protect the writer and the
subject. Draw your own conclusions!