Great Hunting

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Great Hunting
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:54:17 EST
The info about hunting from the engine sounds even better than the story on
the Rockfalls branch of hunting from the w/c.I told this story last year on
the list so I won't repeat it in its entirety. In short a certain conductor
who we'll call Rob Dotson(again to protect the writer and the subject) used
to have a system worked out w/the engineer as they trundled their way up the
branch at the earth shaking 20-30 mph. When the head end found game they
would blow the whistle and the rear end would dispatch the game to the final
resting place at which time the air was set and the game retrieved. All was
well for some time until the local citizens tired of the extra whistle
soundings and shotgun blasts. At some point the game warden climbed aboard
the w/c and that was the end of the mobile hunting service.
I believe I led this story last year by describing how the Rockfalls w/f w/c
was the only one at Eola that didn't have its initials or train marked on it
for ease of identification but rather a pheasant and everyone on the division
knew which train that w/c went to!
Leo
P.S.-I can't remember have I provided the list my research on chalk marks? I
have a short list of who used what and am looking for more.