Re: [BRHSlist] passenger cars

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] passenger cars
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 17:05:51 -0600
From: "The Cameron Family" <d.cameron@s...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2000 3:35 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] passenger cars

> Marshall,
> What I have are copies of pages from The Official Railway
> Equipment Register for the CB&Q (including subsidiaries) dated October
> 1, 1951 and November 1, 1957. These are a bit past your modelling era,
> but may still be of interest as they include some detailed notes about
> some of the equipment. I'd be glad to copy them and send them to you if
> you can give me your mailing address.

The '51 pages would be very useful, thanks . . .

Snailmail is :

Marshall Thayer
6500 Kansas Avenue #33
Kansas City, KS 66111

> As for my Zephyr-Rockets, I'm planning on a couple of trains
> composed of something like the following: a CB&Q E7, an RPO, a couple of
> Havelock cars, a CB&Q coach, a CRIP coach, a Pullman sleeper, and maybe
> a diner. My uncertainty has to do with what models to use for pretty
> much everything but the E7s (which I have) and the Havelock cars (which
> I hope to see at Christmas). The recent Bulletin on the Havelock cars
> provided a consist for the 1960 ZR which included RPO 1931, 3 Havelocks,
> Q coach Silver Chariot, RI coach Chisholm Trail, RI Pullman Golden
> Banner, and Q diner 308.

RPO 1931 was a heavyweight 70' baggage-mail combine. AHM's "1920s RPO" is a
close stand-in - to refine, I would suggest replacing the baggage door with
a scratched version having 5 windows and 5 lower inset panels; and raising
the RPO window sashes to the 1/3:2/3 position.

Chisolm Trail was RI # 303 - renumbered in 1951 as 323. You have a problem
here - 303 was originally an articulated 2nd car in the 1937 Rocket
consists - a 76 seat coach articulated to the coah-baggage at the front end.
The 1951 was a result of a wreck, in which the leading car was junk - so
303(323) was rebuilt as a double-ended 2-truck non-articulated coach. It is
totally unique. It was shorter than a standard 76-seat coach, and when
rebuilt, was given a Pullman-style flat-steel roof, though it retained the
Budd sheathing <sigh>. I can't recommend trying to do "Chisolm Trail". The
easy solution would be to use another Kato Budd coach, and lettering it
RI/Bear Lake (#309). It was a 1939 Budd product for the Rocky Mountain
Rocket.

Silver Chariot (4700) was a 1938 Budd 52-seat coach. Unfortunately, the new
Kato coaches represent 4707-4712 (Silver: Birch, Brook, Castle, Cloud,
Crest, Crown) of 1940. The three 1938 coaches used a different truck, with
large brake cylinders mounted on outriggers toward the car center, with a
resulting "scallop" in the skirting - very distinctive. However, any of the
1940 cars*could* have been there as well. *Don't* use 4709 Silver Castle .
. . in 1949, it was rebuilt to match 4713 Silver Dome (the first dome car -
nee Silver Alchemy).

Golden Banner RI#502 was a Pullman Standard (flute-sided) 6-6-4 sleeper blt.
1942 for Golden State service. A near-miss would be Eastern Car Works' P-S
6-6-4 (their kit 1205). It is actually a postwar NYC prototype, which means
there are slight differences in the siding depths, but what the heck. The
red pier panel/roof of Golden State paint would have been gone by your time
period - straight stainless w RI lettering. To be *real* picky, though, you
could reduce the heighth of the name board by half & make your own decals
for 3 1/4" high lettering. For some reason, pre-war Pullman-operated cars
on the RI had smaller nameboards than the RI owned/operated cars (?????)
OTOH, RI retrofitted some if not all of these cars with standard boards in
the fifties - so don't bother <g>

Q diner 308 was half-diner, half lounge - a heavyweight. By the time you're
looking at it, it was re-rebuilt with thermopane windows and painted silver
with the black "ribbon" lettering (MicroScale has that now). The cheap way
to get there would be to section a couple of Athearn diners and add a
pullman vestibule at the lounge end . . .

I can scan and e-mail drawings for 1931 and 308 from Glick's book. You
shouldn't need drawings for the others, I don't think . . . .
> Any advice you could give me would be great. For instance,
> which cars were heavyweights? Which were corrugated stainless? Would
> any of the upcoming Walthers Budd cars do for any of these?

I didn't know Walthers had any coming up. I understand Kato is going to do
HO versions of their 8 N-scale Budd cars, all of which are CB&Q prototype,
thanks to Charlie Vlk.

What other
> models might I look at? I've admired some of the Spectrum heavyweight
> cars, but none of them are lettered for the Q (although I think I could
> handle redoing them).

AFAIK, all the Spectrum cars are eastern prototypes, and lack the "Q" look .
. . . for my own personal taste, their side detail is way too heavy, and I
don't plan on touching one.

> Looking forward to hearing from you. Please include the address
> if you'd like the freight car rosters.
> Duncan
> P.S. I tried your new email address and it didn't work. Not sure why.

Just reply to this msg - and it should come in on my new addy with no
problem (I hope).

Marshall