WHEELS

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: WHEELS
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:04:10 EST
Guys, please secure a copy of the Field Manual of Interchange Rules and the
wealth of info will over come you. I believe wheels are in rule 70 (I
think).It really isn't the wheel size that governs but the
journal(9x12,etc).Generally however 33 inch wheels are 70 tonners(getting to
be rare),36 inch ones are 100 ton and 38 are 125. The field manual sets the
wear limits for tread,flanges,etc. At UTLX we reclaim them and turn those
within limits and back they go into service.
As to the discussion of straight plate and curved plate Karl as usual is
correct but he didn't mention that straight plates are being phased out on an
excelerated basis as they have a higher tendency for cracks,etc due to poorer
heat deflection.In July the AAR just lowered the allowable thickness limits
on straight plate wheel treads for the third time.They have been totallly
banned under pressure cars in Hazmat service for a few years and before long
will be another museum piece.UTC is taking them out at a very rapid rate
under the new rules. Even the experienced guys need a uniform wheel gauge to
tell a straight plate from a curved plate unless their placed side by side.
Now just for fun does any one besides me know what a "pony truck" means? Well?
Clue-It is often found under an older hopper and has to do with wheel sizes.
Leo