Re: [BRHSlist] Where have the Hobo's Gone??

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Where have the Hobo's Gone??
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:10:11 -0500
From: "LARRY L. DOUB" <nftrains@n...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 12:42 AM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Where have the Hobo's Gone??

> All this talk about fiction has made me think of something, Do to the
fact that allot of people didn't believe that My Stepfather gave the KING OF
THE HOBO'S a ride over the Gateway bridge in Clinton IA to Fulton IL one
year in the late 70's.
> I would have not believed it with out the Autographed picture's he gave us
of him, Sorry I don't have them now nor remember His name.
> But I did brag it up when I was a Kid, I thought it was cooler than heck.
> What Happened to the once seen and talked about HOBO'S?

"Box Car Myrtle" French of Burlington, IA was the long-time Queen of the
Hobos during the 50s and 60s - I used to have an autographed copy of her
autobiography, but lost it in a move . . . .

The Kings and Queens are "crowned" each year at the Britt (IA) Hobo
Festival, which celebrated its 100th anniversary last summer.

Britt is also home to the only museum dedicated to the history and lore of
the hobo . . . You can contact them at 51 Main Ave. S., Britt, IA - or call
515-843-3867 for more info. My sources don't show a website or e-mail, but
a phone call might get you an e-contact.

Marshall