Re: [BRHSlist] Microsoft Train Simulator

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Microsoft Train Simulator
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:44:36 -0500
I did hear about the Microsoft's flight simulator this weekend from a member
of our rail passenger advocacy organization who works for the FAA.

Normally I stick on this list to rail issues, particularly the Q. However,
we sometimes have to look at a bigger picture, and being involved in
information systems, I am not bashing Microsoft just because I like bashing
things. I really do not.

However, having been involved in mission critical and life-critical computer
systems for over 10 years now, I have a really genuine concern about the
quality of microsoft products and the microsoft monopoly. In my business,
I am used to systems that do not have to be rebooted except when there are
hardware failures.

I also am really concerned that Microsoft is refusing to go along with the
international Java standard but is going in their own direction. They feel
that they have the power to set their own standards (and they do) and make
everyone else go along, regardless of whether such standards represent a
deterioration of quality or not.

It may however be that, with the breakup of Microsoft, their monopoly may
not be such a problem. It is interesting that the Microsoft case may be to
the early 21st Century what the Northern Securities Case (GN+NP+CB&Q) was to
the early 20th Century.

sjl