Re: [BRHSlist] Coal in boxcars

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Coal in boxcars
From: Ted Schnepf <railsunl@f...>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:45:47 -0500
At 09:54 PM 8/30/00 -0400, you wrote:

In the Coalfields issue of the "Bulletin" it wa mentioned how the Q would use
boxcars for hauling coal. Which boxcars were primarily used for this and when
wold this practice have been abolished?

I would think the cars used for coal would be most any older car, especially one with a leaking roof or small holes in the sides or floors. In the 40's/50's this was probably old single and double sheathed composite cars. Stock cars could also be used in this service.

I have plans for a new mine being built in that late 1950's in Indiana on the Milwaukee road that shows a new "box car loader" to be installed. So even in the late 1950's this must have been a normal operation.

Also keep in mind that a sister (parent) road, the GN built BOXCARS for coal service about 1918. I believe GN believed that any commodity could be shipped in one car type, the boxcar.

Ted
Rails Unlimited - Ted Schnepf
Railroad Models, Decals, Books & Photo Sales
126 Will Scarlet; Elgin, Ill 60120
Voice 847-697-5353 or 5366 - railsunl@f...
Web site http://users.FoxValley.net/~railsunl/