Re: [BRHSlist] RE: twin meadows tunnel

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: twin meadows tunnel
From: " JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS" <trains@m...>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:18:42 -0600
The only 'Q' tunnels I am aware of in Montana were the following: There was
a tunnel on the line through the Pryor Gap on the original line that took
off from the Sheridan/Billings Mainline at Toluca, Mt. and came out of the
Gap at Warren, Mt. This line proceeded south through Frannie, Wy. and on to
Cody- where the line ended. The line was abandoned (Toluca to Warren) after
the Big Horn Basin line through the Wind River Canyon was completed and
trackage rights on the NP south out of Laurel, Mt. were obtained. At
Fromberg, Mt. the 'Q' built a new line which went through East Bridger and
on to Warren where it connected with the original line through the Pryor
Gap. At the summit of the Warren hill was the second tunnel I am referring
to. It was daylighted many many years ago and is now just a big cut at the
summit of Warren hill. This line is the present BNSF line from Laurel to
Denver via Casper.

John Olson
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.