Roger Marsh Question

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Roger Marsh Question
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@c...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 09:27:21 -0500
Roger
Have you check into the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps? They show extensive
details related to buildings and industries, often including those along
tracks and ROWs. I have been able to locate and size many a RR stockpen
because of some research done with Sanborn Maps. I have learned a lot while
trying to answer the very question you ask. They started making these maps
in the 1860's and produced new ones every 5-7 years, updating the buildings
and industires (as well as streets and RR tracks) I have learned that the
very small towns were often not mapped until the 30's, if at all. After the
30's the company began sending out tissue overlays when changes occured, so
the more recent maps are hard to decifer, esp on microfishe.

I know in Iowa the State Historical Society in Des Moines and Iowa City and
the University of Iowa Library in Iowa City has the entire set of maps for
Iowa on Microfishe. You might want to check with Historical Societies and
the U of Nebraska Library. Some will even send out the MicroFishe on Inter
Library Loan. Of if you have specific towns in mind the Library might make
and send you photocopies of the towns you desire.

You also might want to be on the search for elusive and rare Railroad
Shippers Directories. I know Ted Schnepf railsunl@m...
recently offered a photo copied reprint of a MLWK directory from the 40's
and he is currently preparing a similar reprint of a 1923 C&NW directory I
own. Contact Ted for more information. Even if you don't model MLWK or C&NW,
these directories offer a wealth of info for names and types of business in
even the smallest of towns, which is what you are looking for. While the
MLWK did not opeate in Neb, the C&NW did. You may even find listings the for
the exact towns your are interested in.

Doug Harding

By the way does anyone have a Shippers Directory for the CB&Q? Ted would be
very interested in finding a copy to reproduce.