Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 3007

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 3007
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:32:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/00 9:32:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
zephyr03@s... writes:

<< Purple Martin Junction in Griggsville, IL- with purple-painted passenger
cars containing a sort of free-form wildlife museum >>

My understanding is that the city of Quincy auctioned off the 3007 to the
"highest" bidder, namely the fellow from Griggsville, for the horrendous sum
of $5,000.00! One catch though; the buyer only had $1,500.00 but promised to
pay the balance as soon as his new operation got underway in Griggsville.
All that the city (Quincy) ever got, was the $1.5K! The main thing was they
wanted the locomotive off the island and pronto along with the "Sandley
Built" 15" gauge live steam train operation. I often wonder if the city
officials knew what IRM paid for the 3007? It's sad that one of the RR's
namesake cities would think so little of Harry Murphy's donation.

Bob Campbell

PS - I was visiting the Riverside & Great Northern Rwy. (15" gauge) in 1962
when I met Mr. Sandley, and he asked me I knew where the heck Quincy, IL was,
because he was working on some passenger cars and a locomotive for their
amusement park. It is rumored, that the 15" gauge equipment still resides in
a barn in Quincy. Archie, can you add more to this story?