Re: [BRHSlist] Silver Arrow

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Silver Arrow
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:34:24 -0500
Stephen J. Levine wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but did not Burlington use the name Silver
> Arrow for a Sleeper on the original Denver Zephyr and also an E5A
> locomotive?

Silver Arrow was a 12-section articulated sleeper #412 on the 1936
Denver Zephyr (it articulated to Silver Sides #440 6BR-3CPT-1DR). The
DZ sets became to Texas Zephyr sets in 1957 and continued in that
service until the train was withdrawn from the timetable.

Silver Arrow 9914A was an E-5A Ph II delivered in June 1941 (mated to
Silver Swift 9914B, a matching A unit). 9914A became C&S 9955 in Sept.
'61, but all names had been removed from E-5s about 10 years earlier.

For about 10 years, though, you *could* have had a unit named Silver
Arrow hauling a car named Silver Arrow whenever 9914A-B was called to
protect the DZ . . . .

Marshall