Re: [BRHSlist] Overland Commuter Cars

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Overland Commuter Cars
From: Russell Strodtz <vlbg@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:04:57 -0500
Jeff Worones wrote:

> I saw that in the Model Railroader. It will be the Bi Level Coach, Cab car,
> and the power cars. Pretty exciting.
>
> I have seen a photo or two of these cars at West Burlington. Was this for
> maintenance? Special event? I'd like to find an excuse to run a set of these
> cars into Burlington IA in 1969. Any experiences, knowledge, or thoughts
> would be much appreciated!
>
> Jeff Worones
> Las Vegas, NV

Jeff:

West Burlington was/is locomotives only. No passenger equipment
maintained there.

BiLevels were used on Excursions all the time. Also used on holiday
weekends in regular service for the college traffic.

Winona MN has three Colleges, two of which used to get most of their
students from the Chicago suburbs. Thanksgiving weekend in 1964 I
rode #24 from Minneapolis to Chicago. There were bi-levels in the
consist and the train did operate at 90 MPH Savanna to Aurora.
IIRC the power was 9914AB.

Russ