Re: [BRHSlist] Stealing the unlock

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Stealing the unlock
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:14:48 -0500
qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Besides those of us who used to do it on a regular basis (or sit in the cab
> and observe somebody else do it) can anyone tell us what the phrase "stealing
> the unlock meant" and how one accomplished same? The prize for the right
> answer is a guarantee you won't have to actually go do it. Leo

Leo:

While I will again disqualify myself from any prize, I had a crew do it
recently before they had Authority to occupy the Main Track. They
were spotting the standard 52 empties at an Elevator that comes off the
Main rather then the siding at this location. The rest of their train
had been left on the siding and I had to run a "Z" train so I told
them to get in the clear while they were making all the spots and cuts.

BNSF is hell on "Contingent Authority" so I told them to call me AFTER
the BNSF xxxx was by their location. When they called there was a
track light on the main between the siding switches. This forced me
to protect myself by asking the "Z" train their actual location and
when they said they were by the West siding switch I authorized entry.

BTW, modern rules training avoids many of the situations that you have
described. Before you can go between cars for any purpose you have
to confirm with the Engineer that the train is secure and will remain
so. I would say 75% of the Engineers on the territory I work will
not make a move unless the Conductor or Brakeman has assured them that
any switch or derail is properly lined. I really feel that more
communication makes this stuff safer.

Russ