Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 9903 Mark Twain Zephyr

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 9903 Mark Twain Zephyr
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:49:08 -0500
mike.j.talviste@g... wrote:

> To the CB&Q list:
>
> I have a Challenger HO model of the 4 car Mark Twain Zephyr. It has the
> 40's locomotive "light tower". My question to this list is as follows:
>
> 1, Which Airhorn would be correct for Mark Twain Zepher?

The MTZ had two airhorns, both facing front. They flanked the headlight
housing, and one was approximately 2/3 the size of the other.

> 2. There are two lights on the front of the model, has the upper-most
> one in the tower is a flashing red, the lower one in the car body a
> steady
> white.

How were used?

Actually, the upper light had two lenses: one red and one white. The
white light was used as a warning light. Apparently its use varied with
time. It was originally used leaving or entering a station and in areas
of grade crossings. In later years, it appears to have run steadily
whenever the train was on the main line and in motion. The red was used
only when the train was stopped or backing on a main (aside from a
scheduled stop.)

Are they really a Mars, Gyralite, Strobe,
> Stratolite,
> or something else?.

The one I removed from 9903 in 1966 was clearly marked "MARS".

> 3. There is a steady red light on the tailcar and a staedy white (for
> backing up?).
> Should this be a steady red or should it flash

The upper rear light was also marked "MARS", and bore a single red lens.

It was used as a warning when doing an unscheduled stop on the main.
The white light was generally used for backing movements in a yard.

Marshall