Re: [BRHSlist] passenger car pictures

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] passenger car pictures
From: " JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS" <trains@m...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:58:41 -0600
John, About 1960-61 I was in the state music festival held in Casper, Wy.
When I had some free time- I would walk down to the depot and hang out. That
is where I met Mr. Alfred Newman (honestly) as he was the special agent
assigned to Casper and he wanted to know what a kid like me was doing
hanging around the depot. I told him I was a railfan and he took a liking to
me after I proved myself with knowledge of railroads- and gave me a royal
tour around the roundhouse, through an E-8 that was sitting there, and
pretty much left me alone for the rest of the time the festival was going
on. During my trips to the depot- I observed 31/32 (Alliance- Casper) arrive
and depart Casper several times. It arrived fairly early in the afternoon
and laid over a few hours and then returned to Alliance. The few times I saw
it- it had a Great Northern (Empire Builder scheme) Smoothside Pullman. As I
remember- the train was 4 cars- Baggage, RPO, Heavyweight Coach and the GN
Pullman. Now whether it said Empire Builder on the letterboard and
sub-lettered CB&Q or said Great Northern on the letterboard- I don't
remember- but the Pullman was left on the mainline while the rest of the
train was turned and added to the other end of the Pullman for the trip back
to Alliance. Page 116 in Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol 1 (Four Ways
West) shows exactly what I remember. Train #75 is on the lead waiting to
head north to Laurel and the Pullman is sitting on the mainline waiting for
the coach and head end cars before heading back east to Alliance. If you
look closely- you can tell it is a single car sitting there. The shadow is
very short underneath. It also looks like a streamline car judging the
contour. The brick division offices and depot are out of the picture- off to
the right side of the Pullman.
John Olson
Billings, Mt.